What is a Vegetarian
Types of vegetarians:
- Lacto-ovo-vegetarians- Avoids all meat and fish, but consume eggs and dairy.
- Pescatarians- Avoids meat, but consumes fish, eggs, and dairy.
- Lacto-vegetarians- Avoids all meat, fish, and eggs, but consumes dairy.
- Ovo-vegetarians- Avoids all meat, fish, and dairy, but consumes eggs.
- Vegans- Avoids all animal-based foods, including honey and sometimes goods made with animal products such a leather.
Did you know? Some individuals identify themselves as "semi-vegetarian”. However, most vegetarian and vegan societies do not accept the term.
Benefits of being a Vegetarian
Lower Body Weight
A 2003 study of 38,000 people showed that fish eaters, vegetarians, and vegans enjoy a lower body mass index (BMI) than meat-eaters.
Another study by Roczniki Panstwowego Zakladu Higieny in 2014 stated that non-meat eaters generally consume less saturated fat and more fiber-rich plant-based foods and therefore enjoy a healthy weight. Click here for easy weight loss tips!